Wednesday 11 February 2015

Sourdough Success

My first sourdough starter!
FFF Photo a Day - Day 41

I've been wanting to get back into making bread with sourdough for awhile and this weekend I successfully made my first sourdough starter. For those that aren't familiar with sourdough baking, you need a 'mother' or a starter from which you extract a cup or so instead of using yeast in your baking. You must feed your 'mother' and maintain it in between baking sessions. 

I have a previous experience with sourdough baking that has made me a tad shy of the whole thing. About 20 years ago, a good friend gave me a tupperware container of starter, extolling its wonderful properties and possibilities. I dutifully put it in my car to take home....and forgot it there.... for days.... we brought the car to the wrecker later that summer - need I say more? Sourdough starter is not something you forget about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment