Sunday 10 April 2016

Week #14 - A good time to prepare...

This weekend was cold ... and windy and snowy. Not impressed given its the second weekend in April! I had hoped to be outside preparing the farm for the coming spring! Instead I retreated indoors and made the best of the chilly weather! 




Eating well throughout the year, takes work and planning. Eating well during our busy months (summer) takes additional preparation! While I frequently have several meals in the freezer ready to go, at this time of year I am more intentional about such preparations and I begin to fill our freezer with healthy pre-made meals that we will be able to cook easily after a full day of planting, weeding, or harvesting. 

My goal is have plenty of options to entice all members of the family to eat well no matter what the circumstances. With three teenagers, that means having plenty of heat and go options. In addition, the summer if full of potlucks, BBQs and other social events in which we need to bring something. With no time to prepare anything fancy, I like to have a few appetizer and/or desserts pre-made and frozen ready to pull out and impress. Cheese balls, pesto & cream cheese tortes, and crab dip all freeze well and are easy to thaw and go. 

Today I made a number of Lasagnas and Shepherd Pie, both small and large to accommodate company or extra mouths as well as to be sure that those evenings when there are only a few of us, that we don't resort to unhealthy alternatives. Meat in marinade stored in a ziploc bag and frozen flat, stores efficiently in the freezer. Burritos are great heat and go options that my teens enjoy! 

What kind of meals do you like to have ready and waiting!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment